Monday, October 27, 2014

Worth the work!

So I wanted to shares some stuff that has been on my mind...

This is such hard work...I don't know if you can even imagine, without going through it, how much work I am putting into losing weight, changing my lifestyle and keeping it off! However, it is worth it! The results are amazing, and I often attribute the results to the surgery, but I have realized recently, that I have so much to do with it, my choices, my dedication and my work shouldn't be discounted because of the surgery. I feel like some people, not people in my life necessarily, really do look at weight loss surgery this way. They feel like it is a quick fix, and that the person can then eat whatever they want and not gain weight and just keep losing. I really don't see it that way at all.

When I am sitting a restaurant and I can choose anything on the menu and know I can only eat 3-6 bites, depending on what I choose...believe me, the temptation is there to choose the fattiest, high carb thing on the menu, get 3 bites down and be happy. But, I don't. I choose lean protein, veggies, and indulge a little if I can afterward. When I indulge a little too much, as I did yesterday having some tortilla chips before lunch at a Mexican restaurant, I make sure I add my calories and carbs to my food diary and work out a little harder to make up for it.

Here are choices I make everyday, that are so important to my health, my weight loss and my lifestyle change being permanent (as opposed to just a diet):

1. Almost no refined sugars, carbs, or starchy foods. They are so rare now, as compared to my previous life, that it would have seemed impossible to me just 7 months ago. I do not eat any rice, pasta, or potatoes in general now, and allow myself a 1/2 a slice of toast every other day. It must be whole wheat, low calorie and only a half of a slice. The majority of my carbs now come from legumes, veggies, and fruit.

2. I limit my carbohydrates to 50-60 carbs a day from all sources, gross carbs, not net carbs. This is tricky, but as long as I stick to healthy foods, that are naturally low in carbs, and not just "Low Carb" labels, I do it easily every single day. (This is my nutritionists recommendation for me, please check with your doctor before lowering you carbs to this level)

3. I eat veggies at as many meals as possible. No iceberg lettuce for me, I stick to spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, and dark greens for my salads whenever possible. I love a small amount of lettuce with protein on top as a salad. I don't add croutons, but love seeds and nuts on top for crunch. I do steamed veggies on the side of main dishes, or incorporate tons of veggies in recipes that I normally wouldn't have added before. Like spaghetti sauce, I add bell peppers, carrots, onions, mushrooms, and zucchini to the sauce and puree it up. (Bonus: my kids don't know it is full of veggies!) and top zucchini noodles with the sauce and add a little cottage cheese over that for extra protein! I also make homemade mac and cheese, using cauliflower instead of pasta, and add butternut squash, onions, and carrots to the sauce...puree that and no one knows it isn't cheese sauce!

4. I make sure I get at least 80-90 grams of protein a day. Since I can't eat a whole lot, it may not sound like much, but I work out a lot, so I have to get my protein in! I eat protein before veggies at every meal...

5. Speaking of working out, I am at the gym 5 days a week! I do 30 minutes on the Elliptical trainer, at 5-6 mph and then do machines for another 20-30 minutes for toning. I work legs, arms, and core every day I am there. That is a lot of work, but it is worth it!

6. I still park further away from the entrance of stores, I choose activities with my kids that will get us moving, we have dance-a-thons at home and all dance for 10 minutes at a time! We wrestle, run, play, chase each other. Moving around is now normal daily activity for us, and it is a choice I make to incorporate that into our lives!

7. I cook, and plan our home meals a week in advance! We have a weekly menu now, and we eat out very rarely...I plan all our meals, making sure that the kids get all the nutrition they need, while my limits are respected as well. Sure my kids eat pasta, and rice, and potatoes. But I make them as healthy as possible, and I make sure whatever main course is happening each day, fits into my needs, so I don't have to scrounge around for food after cooking their meals. I also make sure that I have healthy snacks on had all the time so I am not tempted by foods they might eat. We also stick to whole fruits as desserts as a family, and no fruit juice, unless it is blended real fruit that I make myself, with all the fiber included!

8. I live! I don't completely deprive myself of everything...I allow myself a couple of bites of something if I really want it. I ate a small chocolate chip cookie the other day. I buy Dole dippers dark chocolate covered strawberries and eat 2 of the 4 pieces that come in the package. I allow myself a little something occasionally, so I never feel like I am on a diet. I try to never think of things in an, "I will never allow myself to eat that again" kind of way...because that would make me feel like I am being punished!

So, the surgery made me eat less...but the above are all examples of how I choose to live everyday, so that I can live a healthier, fitter, longer life...all things that the surgery didn't change, but inspired me to change for myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment